Getting Your Kids Emotionally Ready for the Post-Pandemic School Year
This week we’re coming in hot with a legitimate timeline for how to get your kid ready for the new school year. Last week we shared our thoughts and predictions for the post-pandemic school year; this week, we’re translating all of that into actionable steps.
Taking into account that every kid is different, handles situations differently, and has had their own personal experiences of life during the pandemic, we share how to find out how your kid is feeling about going back to school and how to prepare them while also letting them enjoy the summer. This year it’ll be a bit different than usual but don’t worry, we’ve got you covered.
“I will not have a single backpack ready for my children, but I will have talked to them
about all their anxiety and excitement for the school year because I sat down and did this. I’m thrilled.“
– Amanda Sovik-Johnston
More about Virginia Family Therapy
Virginia Family Therapy is a mental health practice serving individuals, families, and our community. VFT is designed to help people at all stages and from all walks of life by offering therapists and physicians with diverse backgrounds and specialties via face-to-face, walk-and-talk, and telemedicine appointments. Throughout, we are committed to developing strengths-based, authentic, and long-lasting relationships with you and your children. We hope to provide you with the support and insight you need to help your family navigate life’s hard times and joys.
Contact us here.
In this episode, we cover
- How to get an idea of where your kid’s anxiety level is at and what signs to look out for,
- What to do when your kid is losing their mind about going back to school,
- Behind-the-scene steps to get them ready and anticipate on their anxiety,
- What to talk to your kids about and what to model,
- Things you might want to practice before going back to school, depending on their experiences the past year,
- Getting back into the school routine.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Are you or your kid dealing with anxiety and would you like to discuss it with a professional? We have a team of psychologists and psychiatrists who can help you out. Don’t hesitate to contact us here.
- If you haven’t listened to our previous episode our thoughts and predictions about the upcoming school year, have a listen here.
- Connect with us on Facebook or Instagram.
Disclaimer: Please remember we are real live therapists, however this is a podcast and is not considered a therapy session. Not only because there is no co-pay but also because we can’t speak to your individual experiences. We are here to help you keep raising healthy kids. And remember, if you are an imperfect parent, we are right there with you. If you or someone you love is in immediate danger, please call your local crisis hotline or go to your nearest emergency room.