How to Talk to Your Kids About Adult Drinking
Talking to your kid about your own drinking behavior often asks you to get very vulnerable as a parent. Being vulnerable is important for us too, and that’s exactly what we do in today’s episode. We have an open and vulnerable conversation about how to do exactly this: talking to your kid about adult drinking.
Even as therapists who talk about these topics to clients on a regular basis, we know it’s different when it’s your own drinking behavior you have to address to your own kid. We know, we’ve been there.
So, how do you explain that it’s just adults who drink? Should you use the scare-tactic? How do you address different kinds of drinking and at what age should you start the conversation? What to do when you do overdrink in front of your kid? And how do you talk to your kid if alcoholism runs in the family? Tune in to hear our thoughts on all of these questions.
“If it’s healthy drinking, it’s still important to explain to kids what’s okay about it
and why they can’t drink wine with you”
– Sarah Lewis
More about Virginia Family Therapy
Virginia Family Therapy is a mental health practice serving individuals, families, and our community. VFT is designed to help people at all stages and from all walks of life by offering therapists and physicians with diverse backgrounds and specialties via face-to-face, walk-and-talk, and telemedicine appointments. Throughout, we are committed to developing strengths-based, authentic, and long-lasting relationships with you and your children. We hope to provide you with the support and insight you need to help your family navigate life’s hard times and joys.
Contact us here
In this episode, we cover
- The importance of having a conversation with your child about adult drinking.
- How to explain it’s just adults who drink
- How to address different kinds of drinking.
- How to age-appropriately talk to your child about adult drinking.
- What to do when you overdrink in front of your kid.
- How to talk to your kid if alcoholism runs in the family.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Are you concerned about your drinking behavior or would you like to discuss it with a professional? We have a team of psychologists and psychiatrists who can help you out. Don’t hesitate to contact us here.
- If you haven’t listened to our previous episode about whether adults should drink in front of there kids, have a listen here.
- Have a listen to the podcast episode by Today Explained Amanda talks about here.
- Learn more about the app The Cutback Coach here.
- Connect with us on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter.
Disclaimer: Please remember we are real live therapists, however this is a podcast and is not considered a therapy session. Not only because there is no co-pay but also because we can’t speak to your individual experiences. We are here to help you keep raising healthy kids. And remember, if you are an imperfect parent, we are right there with you. If you or someone you love is in immediate danger, please call your local crisis hotline or go to your nearest emergency room.