Cutting the Cord – Cell Phone Use in Schools
Although mentally, we might not be 100% ready for this yet, the new school year is around the corner, and we need to talk about it. The subject of going back to school is coming up more and more during therapy sessions, and today we’re having a conversation about a frequently recurring subject: cell phones. More specifically: cell phone use in school for middle schoolers and teenagers.
Not only are we having a look at how our kids use their phones in school but, even more importantly, how we as parents respond to their messages. As parents, we think responding is going to be helpful. Our child needs us, after all. It’s going to be a tough pill to swallow for many parents, but, most of the time, the opposite is true, and responding is not going to help your kid at all.
Whether you’re ready to set boundaries from the beginning or you need tips to slowly move away from responding to your child’s messages, today’s episode is all for you.
“The main reason we send our kids to school is for socialization and to learn.
Texting parents during those times is mostly getting in the way of both of those.”
– Amanda Sovik-Johnston
More about Virginia Family Therapy
Virginia Family Therapy is a mental health practice serving individuals, families, and our community. VFT is designed to help people at all stages and from all walks of life by offering therapists and physicians with diverse backgrounds and specialties via face-to-face, walk-and-talk, and telemedicine appointments. Throughout, we are committed to developing strengths-based, authentic, and long-lasting relationships with you and your children. We hope to provide you with the support and insight you need to help your family navigate life’s hard times and joys.
Contact us here.
In this episode, we cover
- The reasons why your kid might be texting you from school
- Creating a system between parents and child around cell phone use in school
- Why texting with your teenager during school hours is having a negative impact on their individuation process
- How to use code words and phrases with your child
- How to set boundaries from the beginning
- How to slowly move away from texting with your kid during school hours
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Are you or your kid dealing with anxiety and would you like to discuss it with a professional? We have a team of psychologists and psychiatrists who can help you out. Don’t hesitate to contact us here.
- Have you already listened to our latest episode about getting your kid emotionally ready for the new school year? Have a listen here!
- Connect with us on Facebook or Instagram.
Disclaimer: Please remember we are real live therapists, however this is a podcast and is not considered a therapy session. Not only because there is no co-pay but also because we can’t speak to your individual experiences. We are here to help you keep raising healthy kids. And remember, if you are an imperfect parent, we are right there with you. If you or someone you love is in immediate danger, please call your local crisis hotline or go to your nearest emergency room.