Pandemic Flux Parenting – The New Term for What We’ve ALL Been Feeling!
Have you been experiencing spikes of anxiety or depression lately? Or do you sometimes just feel numb? Maybe you’ve been feeling the desire to drastically change something about your life?
Let us tell you this: you’re not alone and there’s nothing wrong with you.
What you’re experiencing is called Pandemic Flux and it has exactly those symptoms.
If you haven’t heard of the term Pandemic Flux yet, don’t stress. Pandemic Flux is a new term, first introduced by Amy Cuddy in her August 11th Washington Post article called ‘Why this stage of the pandemic makes us so anxious’.
Amy very accurately describes what we are all feeling today. Pandemic Flux is the emotional whiplash of this stage of the pandemic.
The Three Symptoms of Pandemic Flux
If you’ve been experiencing one or more of these symptoms and you have no idea where this is coming from, you might just be experiencing Pandemic Flux (just like us):
- Blunted emotion, which means you’re sometimes not able to feel your emotions;
- Spikes in anxiety and depression;
- The desire to drastically change something about your life. Think about all the people moving houses, getting a tattoo, or wanting another baby*.
* Psst, one of us is actually considering one of these three things. Can you guess what it is? If not, don’t worry. We’ll tell you in today’s episode.
More about Virginia Family Therapy
Virginia Family Therapy is a mental health practice serving individuals, families, and our community. VFT is designed to help people at all stages and from all walks of life by offering therapists and physicians with diverse backgrounds and specialties via face-to-face, walk-and-talk, and telemedicine appointments. Throughout, we are committed to developing strengths-based, authentic, and long-lasting relationships with you and your children. We hope to provide you with the support and insight you need to help your family navigate life’s hard times and joys.
Contact us here.
In this episode we cover:
- What Pandemic Flux entails and how it can show up in your life;
- Why we’re all experiencing Pandemic Flux;
- Decision fatigue;
- The best thing to do about Pandemic Flux.
Resources and links mentioned in this episode
- Are you or your child struggling with mental health? We have a team of psychologists and psychiatrists who can help you out. Don’t hesitate to contact us here.
- You can read Amy Cuddy’s article on Pandemic Flux here.
- Please leave us a review on Apple Podcasts. We’d love to hear your feedback.
- Connect with us on Facebook or Instagram.
- Have you listened to our episode about dealing with you own pandemic trauma as a parent?
Disclaimer: Please remember we are real live therapists, however this is a podcast and is not considered a therapy session. Not only because there is no co-pay but also because we can’t speak to your individual experiences. We are here to help you keep raising healthy kids. And remember, if you are an imperfect parent, we are right there with you. If you or someone you love is in immediate danger, please call your local crisis hotline or go to your nearest emergency room.